- European pilchard
- Sardine commune
- The tropical Atlantic
- The temperate Atlantic
- The Mediterranean
Environment and movement of the diurnal species
- The species is generally found in the open sea.
- The species is generally seen moving in its environment.
- The species can be found between 5 and 100 Meters.
- Very common species.
General behaviour of the species
- Lives in large groups
- The animal is fearful of the diver
General characteristics of the species
- Maximum size : 25 cm
- Maximum age known : 15 year(s)
- The animal feeds on plankton or small organisms.
Relationship with humans
- The species is good to eat
- The species is exploited in the following sector(s) :
- - Fishing or commercial aquiculture for food
The species can be confused with other species of similar appearance!